Completed Games (Click to view all of the game's related posts)


Incomplete Games with Progress

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fifty-Three Games



Over the years, I have developed a large backlog of games that I own, but for one reason or another, have never beaten. Some of these are games that I started playing and got bored with, or simply lost interest.
However, I have always been taught to waste not/want not. So until I beat these 53 games, I will not purchase another system. It is helpful that there is nothing spectacular planned for release over the next few months, but I need a project to keep me motivated. So that is where you, the reader, come in. I will post videos and progress reports as I play, and I want my readers to keep me motivated. Many of these games are considered masterpieces and must-plays among the gaming community, whereas a few others are just cool games I've been wanting to play.

Is this a pipe dream? Maybe. Honestly, who the hell cares about what some random guy from Southern California wants to do with his time? But I'll try to keep this project going.

Here are the games, separated by system, in no particular order:

Super Nintendo Entertainment System:

Nintendo 64:


Nintendo Gamecube:

  • Pikmin 2 - Even better than the first simply because they got rid of the running timer.
  • Viewtiful Joe - Renowned for its fluid action gameplay and intriguing art style.
  • Ultimate Spider-Man - I'm a big fan of Spider-Man, and this was one of the better versions that actually let you play as him in a free-roaming environment. (removed)
  • Super Mario Sunshine - The true sequel to Super Mario 64, though criticized for its considerably higher level of challenge.
  • Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Zelda on the Gamecube. Need I say more?
  • Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Loved for its fourth-wall-breaking and mind-bending presentation. (COMPLETED ON JAN 21, 2011)
  • Metroid Prime - Samus's first foray into first person was a thing of beauty.
  • Metroid Prime II: Echoes - Sequel to the first. As a Metroid fan, it's a must-play.
  • Tales of Symphonia - The only Gamecube RPG on my list. I like Tales of Phantasia for the Super Famicom, And the gameplay style is refreshingly different from other turn-based RPGs.

PC:

  • Doom III - People seem to like it (removed)
  • Diablo II - I loved the original when I owned it for the playstation, but I still have never gotten past that bastard Duriel. (COMPLETED ON JUL 12, 2010)
  • Half Life 2 - Sequel to what many call the absolute greatest PC game of all time (COMPLETED ON NOV 30, 2009)
  • Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb - This was a gift to me from a friend at a Christmas party. I figure I owe it to him to play through it.
  • Left 4 Dead - I bought this on Steam when it was on sale, but realized I can't even run it on my computer. D'oh!
  • Starcraft - Not a big fan of RTS games, but I'll try my best.
  • Warcraft III - Ditto.

Sony Playstation:

  • Xenogears - I started it a long time ago when it first came out. I loved the combo-based battle system, but never finished it.
  • Final Fantasy VIII - I didn't really like the tedious draw system, but a lot of people love the story.
  • Final Fantasy IX - Criticized for being too stylized, but it was Hironobu Sakaguchi's favorite of the series. And that's saying something.
  • Legend of Dragoon - People that turn into dragons? What's not to love?
  • Jade Cocoon - I bought it for its more adult take on the pokemon style of gameplay, but never got too far in it.
  • Chrono Cross - Beloved sequel to the greatest RPG ever. A friend of mine roleplays as a character from this, so I figured I should see what all the fuss is about.
  • Breath of Fire III - Dragons! Yay!

Sony Playstation 2:

  • Guitar Hero 2 - I beat the career mode, but I suppose 100% completion would be to unlock all guitars and outfits.
  • Kingdom Hearts - People freaking love this Disney/Square crossover. I liked what I've played of it, but my interests later drifted.
  • Gun - I found it in a bargain bin and played through 2/3 of it in a single night. I should finish it. (COMPLETED ON AUG 17, 2009)
  • Resident Evil 4 - The critical re-imagining of the series was critically acclaimed.
  • 24: The Game - I loved the TV show. I found the game used for cheap a few years after I forgot I wanted it. (COMPLETED ON FEB 4, 2009)
  • Dragon Rage - Dragons! This game was a gift from a friend, so I figured I owe it to him to finish it.
  • Okami - I got it at release but simply stopped playing at a certain point. Why? (COMPLETED ON JAN 8, 2010)
  • Ico - I beat Shadow of the Colossus, but never the spiritual predecessor.
  • Kill.Switch - I seeked this out for the innovative cover system. I'm not usually a fan of shooter games like this, but I liked how it played. (COMPLETED ON AUG 12, 2009)
  • God of War - Greatest. Action. Game. Ever. (Yeah, right. Completed July 19, 2011)
  • God of War II - Sequel. To. Greatest. Action. Game. Ever.

Wii:

  • Zack and Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros' Treasure - I sometimes find this game insulting when it kills you for just being curious, but I will not let it beat me!
  • Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - So far the only Metroid game on the Wii (At the time of this writing)
  • Lego Star Wars - So far, I've only played this with my friend in party situations.
  • Manhunt 2 - Rockstar's dark DARK wii game. I haven't even popped this in yet.
  • Bully: Scholarship Edition - Rockstar goes to school. Haven't popped this in yet either.
  • Super Mario Galaxy - I have gotten 3/4 of all the stars and beaten it with Luigi. Now I just need to get the last 61 stars and I'll be able to finally call it quits.(COMPLETED ON MAR, 30, 2008)
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Zelda on the Wii. Yeah. (COMPLETED ON Jan 21, 2011)

Nintendo DS:

  • Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - Damn I have a lot of Zelda games on this list
  • Pokemon Diamond - My girlfriend loves it, My friends love it. I got 4 badges and then... stopped.
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - I loved what I played of it, and then... stopped.
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - I've heard it's a good game with a freaky art style. (removed)
  • Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords - The best puzzle RPG ever made. Well... technically the only one... but still. (COMPLETED ON NOV, 29, 2008)
  • Final Fantasy IV DS - I loved FFIV for the SNES. I'll start playing this once it comes out.(COMPLETED ON AUG 17, 2008)
  • Metroid Prime Hunters -Hopefully I can get over the uncomfortable controls to get through 1-player mode so I can play online with all the hunters. (COMPLETED ON AUG 28, 2008)
XBox 360

No comments: